SCC Career Services: From Classroom to Career
Career Services and Smart Jobs educates students in workforce preparation and planning, empowers students to confidently enter the workforce, and connects students and alumni to unmatched career opportunities. At Spartanburg Community College, you can rest assured that you will have access to unrivaled resources and a support system that will help you succeed! We work with you on things like resume templates, job/internship resources, career assessments, interview help, career & salary information, professionalism tips, annual fall and spring career fairs, and on-campus employer visits.
Career Services facilitates the successful transition of students and graduates from the classroom into the world of work by:
- Maintaining a link between SCC and business and industry partners.
- Providing services and workshops that address realistic job market issues.
- Providing job-related counseling to help students prepare resumes, complete job applications, conduct meaningful job searches, prepare for a successful interview, and understand employment responsibilities.
- Providing information about full-time, part-time, summer, and internship opportunities.
- Coordinating the Cooperative Education Program, a learning approach that combines academic studies with work experience related to the student's curriculum.
- Student Assistant-Business Office (PDF)
- Student Assistant-Financial Aid Office (PDF)
- Student Assistant-The Learning Center (PDF)
- Student Assistant-Science Study Lab Proctor (PDF)
- Student Assistant/Computer Technician-Information Technologies (PDF)
The Federal Work Study - also known as FWS or Work Study - program is a federal student aid program which provides part-time jobs for eligible students. There are many opportunities for employment through FWS at SCC, including student services, bookstore, SCC Foundation, and more! Since positions are limited, students should apply as soon as possible. Interested students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year.
For more information about the FWS program, contact Ladda Koulavongsa in the SCC Financial Aid office.
Download the FWS application (PDF) today!
What is SMART Jobs?
SMART Jobs is a scholarship program that provides intensive short-term training for eligible
dislocated Spartanburg County residents in specific Corporate and Community Education
courses that lead to opportunities for full time employment.
What are the qualifications to participate in the SMART Jobs Program?
- Resident of Spartanburg County
- High School Diploma or GED
- Laid Off From Most Recent Job
- Eligible for Rehire
- Seeking Training to Lead to Full-Time Employment
- Unemployed or Part-Time (30 Hours or Less)
Eligible participants who would like more information about the SMART Jobs program should contact the SMART Jobs Caseworker at (864) 592-4953. Please be sure to bring a picture ID and resume to the appointment so we can better assist you.
What are the training options?
Don't worry! The support doesn't stop once you graduate from SCC. Graduates continue to have access to all Career Services. When you graduate, make sure to update your profile from "Student" to "Alumni" on our online job board, Handshake.
We also value your input about your college experience and encourage you to complete the Graduate Exit Survey when you apply for graduation. The survey is confidential and results are only used by appropriate programs/services. (To apply for graduation, visit the SCC Portal and log in to your student account.)
The best tip? Keep in touch! Let us know how you're doing since you graduated from SCC. This helps us track our graduates' success rate once they leave SCC and adjust programs accordingly. We also will try to help in away way that we can - once a Chaser, always a Chaser.
The Career Services' online job board, Handshake, provides job opportunities for SCC students and alumni. You can search for positions with employers and upload your resume directly for employer review. Check back often for new postings. Please be sure to contact Career Services if you have any trouble registering or searching for jobs.
You can also contact the Career Services office at 864-592-4820 to schedule an appointment for a resume review or a mock interview. If you need assistance with developing a resume, check our resume tips and to get access to a resume template.
Job Search Resources
- Company website careers pages
- GSA Business Book of Lists: available in the Career Services Office. Provides company data and contact information for businesses in the Upstate.
- Federal jobs: usajobs.gov
- SC government jobs (including jobs at SCC): jobs.sc.gov
- Cherokee County jobs: https://cherokeecountysc.gov/human-resources/
- Union County jobs: http://www.countyofunion.org/site/cpage.asp?cpage_id=180013308&sec_id=180003405
Job Board for SCC Students: Join Handshake
Interview Practice for SCC Students: Join Big Interview
Career Services Events: Full Calendar