"How am I going to pay for college?" SCC Can Help!
"How am I going to pay for college" is a common question many students ask. Fortunately, SCC's tuition is the lowest in the region and there are several options for assistance that you may be eligible for. Be proactive and take the necessary steps to determine which funds are available to you.
Be proactive and take the necessary steps to determine which funds are available to you. This includes taking the following actions:
- FAFSA - Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, known as the FAFSA. Read these instructions on how to complete the FAFSA, in advance, so you're ready and prepared to apply! The priority deadline to complete FAFSA for Fall Semester is May 1. You can apply after this date, but all of the financial aid options may not be available. You should complete the FAFSA, even if you don't think you will qualify for any aid. Most forms of aid require you complete the FAFSA, so you should apply in order to qualify for more options.
- IRS DRT - The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) Electronically Transfers Your Federal Tax Return Information in to Your
FAFSA Form. Your tax information will be transferred with the click of a button, accurately
and immediately available.
How do I use it?
1. Log in to your current FAFSA form or start a new application at www.fafsa.gov.
2. In the finances section of the online form, select “Link to IRS” button if you are eligible.
3. Log in with your FSA ID to be transferred to the IRS to retrieve your info.
4. Once at the IRS site, enter your information exactly as it appears on your federal income tax return and click the “Submit” button.
5. Check the “Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA form” box and click the “Transfer Now” button.
6. You will know that your federal tax return information has been successfully transferred because the words “Transferred from the IRS” will display in place of the IRS information on your FAFSA form and for your protection, your tax information will not be displayed on either the IRS site or the FAFSA site. The IRS DRT can be used by both students and parents. To learn more about the IRS DRT, visit: studentaid.gov/irsdrt.
- Scholarships - Look into the many scholarship options and complete those requirements. Every year, there are thousands of dollars of scholarship funds that never get distributed because people do not apply for them! So it is worth the effort.
- Savings Plan -The Future Scholar 529 College Savings Plan is sponsored by the State of South Carolina and administered by SC State Treasure Office. Future Scholar is designed to help families jump-start saving for college while enjoying federal and state tax benefits.
For more detailed information on financial aid, view or download the SCC Financial Aid & Scholarship Guide and the links in the left-hand column. If you still have questions or need assistance, contact the financial aid office at (864) 592-4810 or FA-Questions@sccsc.edu.
More Aid Options for Students
Federal Work Study
Earn money while you attend SCC through the FWS program. FWS jobs are available, and you may be eligible!
John and Putsy Wardlaw Student Emergency Fund Request
Current students who find themselves in a difficult financial situation at SCC often seek monetary relief through SCC's Emergency Fund Request. Click here to learn more about Emergency Fund.
Continuing Education Cost and Tuition
If you are looking for tuition assistance to attend a course in the Corporate & Community Education Division, assistance may be available through partner agencies. Click here to learn more.
Important Financial Aid Dates
Aid Available for Book Inn Purchases:
2023-2024 Award Year
Fall 2023: August 1, 2023 - September 27, 2023
Spring 2024: December 4, 2023 - February 21, 2024
Summer 2024: April 29, 2024 - May 29, 2024
Financial Aid Refund checks mailed by the Business Office on the following dates:
2023-2024 Award Year
Fall 2023: October 11, 2023
Spring 2024: March 6, 2024
Summer 2024: June 12, 2024
Make sure the SCC Records Office has your correct mailing address so your check will be mailed to the right place. If you prefer your funds go straight to your bank account, you can sign up for Direct Deposit via the Portal Self-Service tool or contact the Business Office at (864) 592-4661 for more information.
NOTE: Dates and information can change due to unforeseen circumstances. SCC cannot be held liable in these rare occasions.
Last Day for a Return to Title IV calculation (60% point of term):
2023-2024 Award Year
Fall 2023 (full-term): October 25, 2023
Spring 2024 (full-term): March 15, 2024
Summer 2024 (full-term): June 26, 2024
NOTE: Flex-terms will have different 60% Return to Title IV calculation dates. Check with your advisor before withdrawing from all classes.