Mandatory Online Course Attendance Policy
Students must have logged into and actively participated in the online course by the end of the drop/add period, as indicated by posting to an online discussion, submitting an assignment, taking an assessment, communicating with the instructor, or completing other activities as designated by the instructor. Students who fail to meet this attendance requirement by the end of the drop/add period will be dropped from the class by the instructor.
Technical Requirements for Online, Hybrid, Synchronous, and Flex Courses
(section numbers ending in N, H, S or F):
- Access to a reliable computer with Windows (8 or 10) or Mac OS X (10.9 Mavericks or newer)
- High-speed internet service (such as cable, DSL, or cellular data plan)
- Current version of Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari (Mac only) web browser recommended. Microsoft Edge is compatible with D2L Brightspace, but may not work properly with Virtual Classroom, Video Assignments, and some publisher websites.
- Microsoft Office (free download from SCC Office 365 email)
- Antivirus/security software with weekly updates
- Speakers or headphones
- Webcam (built-in or USB external)
- Additional software as specified in the syllabus or instructor addendum
Students in Synchronous or Flex courses are encouraged to use a USB headset microphone during live video meetings. The built-in microphones in most computers are subject to feedback and background noise that can be disruptive to the other participants. The Book Inn sells webcams, headsets, and other technology that students may need.
Some class content, assignments, or tests may not be compatible with Chromebooks and tablets. Online tests should not be taken on smartphones.
Check D2L Brightspace compatibility
Some courses may also require a webcam for student presentations or other software specified in the course syllabus. Since most instructors do not accept technical problems as an excuse for missed deadlines, students should also have a backup plan for logging into courses in case of trouble.
Tablets and smartphones are not fully supported for taking quizzes, submitting assignments, and accessing some course content. Most will allow the viewing of course announcements, calendars, discussions, and some content. Students must have access to a regular Windows or Macintosh computer to complete all course requirements.
SCCOnline Orientation and Support
SCCOnline offers an orientation to online courses and training for the student tools in D2L Brightspace, the college's learning management system. This orientation is available 24/7 from the course list in each student's D2L account. Additional support for D2L Brightspace and online courses is available at the SCCOnline webpage, by email at SCCOnline@sccsc.edu, or by phone at (864) 592-4961 or toll free (888) 364-9080.
During the summer of 2020 and the Covid -19 situation, instructors will be directing online students for appropriate testing procedures. Please address any questions or concerns about testing to your instructor.