FFA Floriculture Practicums March 19, 2022
Identifying Plant Disorders (70 points)
Contestants will be given a picture of 7 plant diseases and insects (only) listed from the national FFA Floriculture CDE list to correctly identify.
· Students will properly match the disease and insect image provided to its correct name.
Floral Arrangement: (65 points)
Contestants will demonstrate the ability to properly arrange plant foliage and flowers to create a worthy retail floral arrangement.
· Contestants should be familiar with the suggested Design, Balance and Functionality suggested in the FFA CDE floriculture manual to properly design a retail floral arrangement.
FFA Nursery & Landscape Practicum
Pruning Nursery Stock: (40 pts)
Contestants will demonstrate the proper techniques for pruning nursery stock plants (such as container trees).
· Students will need to be familiar with the various types of pruning cuts (such as leader selection, heading, subordinating, etc…) and proper techniques and procedures for making various pruning cuts
· Students should be familiar with locations to perform proper pruning cuts to promote good tree structure, health and aesthetic appeal.
LANDSCAPE ESTIMATING PRACTICUM
Contestants will be presented a landscape plan and 20 questions concerning that plan. Participants should bring an engineer's and architect's scale, a calculator, and pencils. Click here for sample test.
- Interpret a landscape drawing and its symbols
- Select and read the proper scale for a drawing
- Measure and calculate materials
- Evaluate factors that effect costs
- Interpret a Landscape Drawing
- Be able to accurately count specimens using symbols.
- Explain notations...like direction North and single quotes indicating cultivars.
- Select and Read a Scale
- Select the proper type scale for the drawing
- Select the proper unit of scale for the drawing
- Use an engineer scale to measure distances
- Perform Calculations Using the Scale
- Calculate square footage
- Calculate linear feet
- Calculate cubic yards
- Determine quantities of materials based on square footage and size of materials (example: number of pavers required) and rates of materials (example: calculating seed rates).
- Determining Costs
- Determine cost for installations based on plant cost, pay rate, time required to plant, and number of plants.
- Determine materials cost based on cost per unit and quantity needed. (sod, mulch, seed, plants)