When you visit the SCC admissions center to determine which of the following options best suit you in determining entrance requirements, an admissions specialist will assist you every step of the way. Following are the five options for placement requirements they will help you determine:
• English (minimum score): 19 • Math (minimum score): 22
(note: the SAT Critical Reading scoring system was changed for tests taken in March 2016 or after)
For SAT tests taken before March 2016
• Critical Reading (minimum required score): 480 • Math (minimum required score): 560For SAT tests taken during or after March 2016
• Evidenced Based Reading and Writing (minimum required score): 510 • Math (minimum required score): 580
Evaluation based on final, official high school transcript
• 3.0 minimum, unweighted GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
• 4 English courses (CP, AP/IB, dual enrollment) * 80 (B) or higher in all English courses OR * 85 overall average in all English coursework
• 4 or 5 math courses including Algebra I (Math I and Math II equate to Algebra I), Algebra II, Geometry, and one additional math class (Algebra III, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, Statistics, Discrete math, other capstone math course) * 80 (B) or higher in all math courses OR * 85 overall average in math coursework
(Other assessments including COMPASS and ASSET taken within the last five years may also be considered for evaluation)
ACCUPLACER skills assessed:
• Writing • Reading • Arithmetic • Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics (QAS) • Advanced Algebra and Functions - Taking the Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics and/or the Advanced Algebra and Functions portion of ACCUPLACER will be based on the academic program entry requirements as well as the score on the previous mathematics assessment portion (i.e. testing in Quantitative Reason, Algebra, and Statistics will be based on a sufficient score in Arithmetic) Minimum scores for each program are determined by academic divisions and will be made available during the applicant’s session with an admissions specialistNote: There is no minimum entrance score required for math or English. However, based on a statewide agreement, there is a minimum reading score required. Students who do not meet this requirement will be advised as to next steps.
(i.e. English ACT score for English and Reading placement combined with ACCUPLACER Mathematics scores for Math/Algebra placement) ____________________________Note: All of the above options place students in college-level math courses (MAT 110 or 120) and English courses (ENG 101) or the math/English courses required in the student’s chosen curriculum, if lower.
Placement Option 3 applies to an individual who possesses an official high school transcript with an unweighted GPA of 3.0 or higher, on a 4.0 scale, from a high school that is legally authorized to operate in South Carolina, and who graduated from that high school no more than five years prior to college enrollment. This also applies to individuals with transcripts from private high schools and home school associations that employ the uniform grading policy expressed by the South Carolina Department of Education. Individuals who possess an official transcript from an out-of-state high school will be required to work with their school, district or state department of education to provide sufficient information for an evaluation to be conducted in order to determine if there is a correlation between that state’s graduation requirements and those of South Carolina. If a correlation cannot be determined, the individual’s entrance assessment will be based on ACT, SAT, ACCUPLACER scores, previous college coursework or a combination thereof.
Download chart of requirements (PDF)
Full Semester and Flex TermsJanuary 9 - Full semester, 7.5-Week Flex Term I beginFebruary 13 - 10-Week Flex Term, 5-Week Flex Term I beginMarch 4 - 7.5-Week Flex Term II beginsMarch 20 - 5-Week Flex Term II begins
Phone: (864) 592-4800
Toll Free: (866) 591-3700
Fax: (864) 592-4564
Mon - Thu | 8:00am-6:00pm
Friday | 8:00am-5:00pm
Schedule a Tour of SCC