Paying for College

  • Students: Relief Funds May Cover Your SCC Balance

    If you are a currently enrolled student at SCC and have a debt balance for the Fall 2021 term, we have some great news! On December 1, 2021 SCC will be disbursing another round of Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds (HEERF III). To see if you owe a balance, check your account on the MySCC Portal, or contact the SCC Business Office. For more information about HEERF III funds, email SCC Financial Aid office. In order to have your balance paid through these funds we need your electronic consent, available in the link provided below:

    Online HEERF III Relief Consent Form (you will need to log into your student account)
    View/Download HEERF III Consent Form (PDF)

    Prepare Early & Know What to Expect

    "How am I going to pay for college" is a common question many students ask. Fortunately, SCC's tuition is the lowest in the region and there are several options for assistance that you may be eligible for. Be proactive and take the necessary steps to determine which funds are available to you.

    Getting Started

    Be proactive and take the necessary steps to determine which funds are available to you.  This includes taking the following actions:

    1. FAFSA - Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, known as the FAFSA. Read these instructions on how to complete the FAFSA, in advance, so you're ready and prepared to apply! The priority deadline to complete FAFSA for Fall Semester is May 1. You can apply after this date, but all of the financial aid options may not be available. You should complete the FAFSA, even if you don't think you will qualify for any aid. Most forms of aid require you complete the FAFSA, so you should apply in order to qualify for more options.


    2. IRS DRT - The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) Electronically Transfers Your Federal Tax Return Information in to Your FAFSA Form. Your tax information will be transferred with the click of a button, accurately and immediately available.
    How do I use it?
       1. Log in to your current FAFSA form or start a new application at
       2. In the finances section of the online form, select “Link to IRS” button if you are eligible.
       3. Log in with your FSA ID to be transferred to the IRS to retrieve your info.
       4. Once at the IRS site, enter your information exactly as it appears on your federal income tax return and click the
     “Submit” button.
       5. Check the “Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA form” box and click the “Transfer Now” button.
       6. You will know that your federal tax return information has been successfully transferred because the words “Transferred from the IRS” will display in place of the IRS information on your FAFSA form and for your protection,
      your tax information will not be displayed on either the IRS site or the FAFSA site.
     The IRS DRT can be used by both students and parents. To learn more about the IRS DRT, visit:


    3. Scholarships - Look into the many scholarship options and complete those requirements. Every year, there are thousands of dollars of scholarship funds that never get distributed because people do not apply for them! So it is worth the effort.


    4. Savings Plan -The Future Scholar 529 College Savings Plan is sponsored by the State of South Carolina and administered by SC State Treasure Office. Future Scholar is designed to help families jump-start saving for college while enjoying federal and state tax benefits.

    For more detailed information on financial aid, view or download the SCC Financial Aid & Scholarship Guide and the links in the left-hand column. If you still have questions or need assistance, contact the financial aid office at (864) 592-4810 or

    More aid options for students

    Federal Work Study

    Earn money while you attend SCC through the FWS program. FWS jobs are available, and you may be eligible!

    John and Putsy Wardlaw Student Emergency Fund Request

    Current students who find themselves in a difficult financial situation at SCC often seek monetary relief through SCC's Emergency Fund Request.  Based on specific hardship circumstances and available funds (up to $1,000) we will make every effort to assist a student with one-time emergency needs through a designated Foundation fund.

    Sherry Vaughn Book Fund Request

    There are times when students find themselves in a difficult financial situation and seek monetary relief through the SCC Foundation (SCCF).  Over the years, SCC Foundation has raised private dollars to create an specific fund designated to assist students with the cost of textbooks that are purchased through the Book Inn, SCC campus bookstore in the amount up to 85% of total book cost, not to exceed $750.

    If you are a SCC student who is requesting financial support to purchase textbooks, please complete the Book Fund Application form.

    Fill the Backpack Fund

    This fund is to assist first time or returning (three or more semesters) currently enrolled SCC students with the purchase of instructional materials (books, uniforms, laptops, and/or tools) from the College’s campus bookstore, The Book Inn. To be considered for these funds, the student must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours, completed FASFA, demonstrate financial need and complete an on-line application. If approved, the SCC Foundation will cover 85% of the cost while the student will be responsible for 15%. Request is not to exceed $750.

    The Award Committee will make every effort to assist a student with one-time request per academic year. Funds are made available through the SCC Foundation.

    NOTE: This fund has a limit of up to $750 and ONLY pays up to 85% of the total cost for instructional materials. The student is responsible for a minimum of 15% or more of the total cost. 

    If you are a first time or returning student currently enrolled at SCC, please complete the application form.

    Continuing Education Cost and Tuition

    If you are looking for tuition assistance to attend a course in the Corporate & Community Education Division, assistance may be available through partner agencies. Click here to learn more.