View article as it appears on UnionDailyTimes.com
An agreement between Union County and the company that owns and operates the regional landfill in the Cross Keys community continues to benefit the Union Campus of Spartanburg Community College
In 2016, Union County entered into a new host agreement with Republic Services, LLC, the owner and operator of the Upstate Regional Landfill, which included the following terms:
• The agreement will last for the life of the landfill which is estimated to be 70 years or more.
• Republic will continue to pay the county host fees of approximately $1.5 million a year. Hart estimated that this will generate more than $100 million in revenue for the county over the life of the landfill.
• Republic will continue to accept waste from the county and its constituent municipalities at no charge to the county or the municipalities.
• Republic will give the county $40,000 a year for the next five years to a fund litter code enforcement officer.
• Republic will give the county $20,000 a year for the next five years to support upgrades and programming at the Union Campus of Spartanburg Community College.
During a June 2016 meeting of council, Republic Services, LLC Division Manager Tony Davies presented Union County Supervisor Frank Hart with checks for $20,000 and $40,000, each check being the respective first installments on the $100,000 and $200,000 the company will pay the county over the next five years for the SCC Union Campus and the litter code enforcement officer.
A little over a year later, during Tuesday’s county council meeting, Davies made the second installment on the SCC Union Campus portion of the agreement when he presented Spartanburg Community College President Henry C. Giles Jr. with a check for $20,000.
In presenting the check, Davies spoke about how the facility in Cross Keys is the premier landfill in the state. Davies spoke positively about the company’s relationship with the local community including SCC. He said that Republic is committed to being a good partner and a good neighbor