Basic Constable Training
State constables are commissioned by SLED and support SC law enforcement in times of emergency and/or crises.
Prior to registering for this training, you must first complete and submit your application to SLED and receive approval to take the training. You can find the application and more information by visiting their website at http://www.sled.sc.gov/Constables.aspx?MenuID=Cons. Download the Group III State Constable application and mail it to the address show on the application. Approval by SLED can take up to 3 months. Once you are approved, you will receive a letter authorizing you to take the Basic Constable Course. You will be required to take the course within a year from the date stated on the letter. YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT A COPY OF THIS LETTER PRIOR TO REGISTRATION.
Tuition: $1295 (Scholarship funding available)
Advanced Constable Training
To become an Advanced Constable, you must 1. Be in good standing with SLED and local law enforcements agencies, 2. Have been commissioned a basic state constable for at least one year, 3. Have completed 240 hours of duty time assisting local law enforcement agencies.
This course provides 62 hours of instruction and will be taught by Class 1 law enforcement officers who have instructor and defensive tactics certifications. Upon completion of classroom training, testing will be conducted at the SC Criminal Justice Academy. This course will cover the following topics, Juvenile Procedures, Child Abuse, Vulnerable Adults, Sexual Assault, Mental Illness, Prejudice & Personality, Officer Survival On and Off duty, Basic Patrol Operations, Strategies of Arrest, Emergency Vehicle Operations and Defensive Tactics.
Tuition: $695 (Scholarship funding available)
Class: Dates & Times: Campus: Advanced Constable Training
2/10/23-3/26/23 Fri, Sat, Sun (Time varies)
Tyger River Campus Basic Constable Training
3/1/23-4/18/23 Mon-Thurs 6:30PM-9:30PM
Plus some Saturdays at the range.
Tyger River Campus
For more information or to register, please contact Lynn Camp at 864-592-4105 or email@example.com.
Range Apparel and Equipment students need to bring for the Basic Constable class range days:
- 250 rounds of ammunition for the weapon used by the student. The same caliber dummy rounds should be provided, if available, but the dummy rounds are not required.
- Additional rounds of ammunition if the student needs additional practice or remedial training.
- Core X target backers, hearing protection, eye protection, weapons cleaning kit, holster or duty belt, flashlight, 2-3 magazines with magazine pouch.
- BDU (battle dress uniform) or jeans, shirt with a collar (no tee shirts), boots or tennis shoes (no open toe shoes). A hat may also be worn if desired. Rain gear if appropriate.
- Water or other non-alcoholic beverages are permitted on the range.