Advanced Methods in Shielded Metal Arc Welding (Stick)
Description: “Advanced Methods in Shielded Metal Arc Welding” will cover advanced theory and hands on practice with the techniques needed to perform the SMAW process in “Out of position” welding and “Open Root” welding of mild carbon steel plate. Definitions and terminology commonly used in welding. Basic understanding of symbols used in welding. Opportunity for students to qualify under D1.1 Structural Code in the 3G and 4G position.
Prerequisite: Must have prior stick welding experience.
Class Objectives-By the end of this course students will be able to:
- Define SMAW
- List the advantages and disadvantages of the “open root” SMAW process
- Distinguish between the different types of electrodes used for “out of position” and “open root” welding
- Proper electrode selection for “open root” welding
- Identify an electrode by using the AWS numbering system for electrode classification
- Basic weld symbols/reading the welding symbol
- Describe proper amperage/voltage requirements for “out of position” and “open root” welding
- Explain proper joint preparation for the “open root”
- Describe the 4 welding positions associated with structural SMAW welding
- Basic visual weld inspection/types of defects associated with “open root” welding