Advising FAQ

  • Advising:  Frequently Asked Questions 

    What is the Academic Advising Center?
    The Academic Advising Center is where SCC students visit to confer on course selection, registration and other important information concerning their program of study.

    Who does the academic advising center serve?
    • Academic advisors advise all students who, after taking the entrance test, place into at least one transitional course (031/032).
    • New/Curriculum ready students for all program divisions:  Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Business, Computer Technology, Engineering, and Industrial.
    • All health science students that have NOT complete all zero and 100 level classes.

    Why do I need to see an advisor?
    Your advisor will help you clarify your educational goals, discuss program requirements, course pre-requisites, graduation requirements, academic progress and transfer information.

    Do I have to attend school during the summer?
    No, you do not have to attend during the summer semester. However, many programs at Spartanburg Community College are designed for students to attend during the summer semester.  Some classes are only offered during the summer semester, which means not attending in the summer may delay your graduation.  

    How many credit hours do I need to be enrolled as a full-time student?
    You must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours to be considered a full student.

    Is full-time status necessary?
    It is not necessary to attend SCC full-time (at least 12 credit hours), but by attending college full-time you will earn your degree in a timely manner.  We understand if you are unable to attend full-time, but we encourage students to do so if possible.  Some financial aid programs or health insurance companies require a student to maintain full-time status. 

    Where do I go to change my program?
    You should visit the admissions center located at the SCC branch nearest you to change your program.

    What is Student Self-Service?
    Student self-service provided information about the student’s financial aid, registration, progress toward graduation.  Login to MySCC Portal and click on Student Self-Service.

    How do I locate the name of my advisor?
    • Login to MySCC Portal
    • Click on Student Self-Service
    • Click on Plan & Schedule
    • Click the Advising Tab-advisor’s name and email address will be listed

  • SCC Academic Advising Center
    Charlton Williams, Coordinator

    AddressSCC Central Campus
    P. Dan Hull Building, E-1

    Phone: (864) 592-4990

    Toll Free: (888) 245-2457

    Mon.-Thurs. | 8:00am - 6:00pm

    Friday | 8:00am - 1:30pm

    Website:SCC Advising Center