Spartanburg, S.C. – For the fourth year in a row, Spartanburg Community College (SCC) has been named a Military Friendly School by G.I. Jobs magazine. This honor is based on research, survey results and other data that ranks SCC in the top 15 percent of all colleges, universities and trade schools nationwide committed to recruiting military students.
“We are very proud to support our veterans’ educational and career goals, and we’re honored to be recognized for our commitment to these dedicated public servants,” said Henry Giles, SCC interim president. “SCC understands the needs of veterans and we do our best to effectively serve the individuals who bravely serve our country.”
Criteria for inclusion on the Military Friendly Schools’ list includes efforts to recruit and retain military and veteran students, results in recruiting military and veteran students and academic accreditations. In addition, SCC is considered military friendly because the College
- Accepts College Level Examination Program (CLEP),
- Gives credit for CLEP and/or DSST exams,
- Allows military students to return to college without penalty after deployment,
- Offers evening, weekend and online classes,
- Has a veteran specific webpage, and
- Offers regionally and nationally accredited associate’s degrees and certificates.
The College is also a member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges Consortium and approved by the State Approving Agency for training service persons, veterans, dependents and reservists under Title 38, U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, for the following VA educational benefits:
- New G.I. Bill - Active Duty Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 30)
- New G.I. Bill - Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1606)
- Survivors and Dependents (Chapter 35)
- Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
- Post-9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008 (Chapter 33)
“The Veteran's Office has been very helpful to me over the last three years. Kathy Payne, SCC’s Vetaran Affairs coordinator, has kept me on track and in accordance with the GI Bill requirements,” said Timothy Uber, a veteran student from Chesnee. “My experience at SCC has been very positive. I will graduate from the Mechatronics program this semester, the Automated Manufacturing program next semester, and the Industrial Engineering Technology program in the summer. And, I start to a new job with the K&K Technical Group at BMW next week.
“I encourage all veterans to take full advantage of the G.I. Bill, whether it is the Montgomery or Post 911. With the State and Federal funds, also available to vets for schooling, it is a hard deal to pass up,” said Uber.
For more information on veteran’s assistance at SCC, contact the Financial Aid & Veterans Affairs office at (864) 592-4810 or, toll free, (888) 591-3810 or visit – http://www.sccsc.edu.
For more information on Military Friendly Schools, visit -http://www.militaryfriendlyschools.com/