Guidelines for Students Transferring to SCC
For students who attended another college or
university and never attended SCC
Students who plan to transfer to Spartanburg Community College should contact the Office of Admissions for an application. To ensure proper processing of your application and to allow for counseling, advisement, and orientation, you should apply at least four weeks before the term for which you want to enroll. To find out about transferring out of SCC to a university, see our University Transfer information.
To apply for admission to the college, write, call or apply online
Spartanburg Community College
P.O. Box 4386
Spartanburg, SC 29304
Telephone: (864) 592-4800
Fax: (864) 592-4916
Toll free: 1-800-922-3679
A transfer student is one who has attended another post-secondary institution after completion of high school.
Applicants who do not have a 2- or 4-year degree from an accredited institution must submit a high school diploma.
Transfer students must complete at least 25 percent of their program semester hours through instruction offered by the college in order to receive a degree, diploma or certificate from Spartanburg Community College. The remaining 75 percent may be any combination of transfer credit, American Council on Education (ACE) College Credit, Advanced Placement (AP), articulation from secondary and vocational/technical schools, CLEP, credit by examination, or experiential learning. Refer to the current Spartanburg Community College catalog for procedures and requirements for awarding of credit from any of these sources.
The Registrar evaluates credits from other institutions. The Registrar may seek input from the appropriate division dean or department head to determine the applicability of specific courses. The Vice President for Academic Affairs has final approval on the applicability of transfer credit to a specific program of study. In general, transfer credit is awarded when a course is
from a post-secondary institution accredited by a regional accreditation association, such as the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)
similar in content to the catalog synopsis of the corresponding course at Spartanburg Community College;
required, or permitted as an elective, in the program;
graded at a letter grade of "C" or better, or a numerical grade of 2.0 or better (on a 4-point scale); and
not a duplication of credits already earned.
Students should request transcript evaluation at the time of admission. In order to have transcripts evaluated, the student must request official transcripts from the Records Office at the college(s) attended. Students must send official transcripts directly to the Admissions Office at Spartanburg Community College. The Registrar will automatically evaluate transcripts of students who change majors or who submit additional transcripts.
Spartanburg Community College reserves the right to determine whether a particular course meets the requirements and standards for college transfer. Although a course may be transferable, it may not necessarily apply to a particular major (degree, diploma, or certificate). Program displays in the Spartanburg Community College catalog include the general education, major, and elective requirements for each program of study at the college.
Spartanburg Community College has transfer articulation agreements with many public and private colleges. A list of these agreements is available from the SCC Office of the President.
Spartanburg Community College does not use transfer credits in Grade Point Average (GPA) calculations.
The institutional transfer officer is Celia Bauss, Registrar. To contact the Registrar, call the Student Records Office numbers listed on the cover of this brochure. For information on 1 1 and 2 2 agreements, contact the Office of Academic Affairs at (864) 592-4614.